Sunday 10 June 2012

Chapter 1.5 A Half Truth is a Whole Lie

My head hurt, I probably landed pretty hard. I woke in a strange place not where I had fallen.

I was in a house and if I strecthed my neck, I could see out the window. It didn't look like I was in Shang Simla anymore. How long had I been out? Long enough to be moved obviously, but more importantly what in the Watchers name had I seen? The memory of it faded from me now, everytime I tried to focus on it. All I could remember was feeling relieved, seeing that clarity.

The sound of a person made me shriek. I couldn't help it, I was scared.
"Angel, oh your up", said a familiar voice, the voice of Alexander Graham.
"What are you doing here?", I squeaked.

"Your in Twinbrook, your fine", he said softly, gently.
"I don't understand, what about Nicholas, and that thing?", I asked tears forming in my eyes.
"I'll tell you it all soon", he said sadly, like he really didn't want to tell me. I started crying and before I knew it I was sobbing into Alexander's shoulder. I don't know why I was so emotional, I wasn't normally, I never cried. Maybe it was just the fact that I almost died that did it, although now I wasn't even sure if I had almost died.

Alexander led me into the kitchen and gave me something to eat. I was starving and accepted it thankfully.

After that I realised I would have to find out what happened. Alexander had probably thought I had been an idiot. What was I thinking, going back in the first place?
"So what happened after I passed out?", I asked meekily.
"More like went into a coma, you've been out for a good week", he replied.
"Oh, I didn't think it was that long", I said ashamed.
"Well I guess you figured out that Nicholas found you, and that he isn't dead. What you probably don't know is that Victoria Chambers, Angelica Andrew, and I all knew he wasn't dead. We are the only ones who knew. We didn't know were he had gone but you answered that question. To understand this though, you may have to listen to a long story about me and Nicholas and the base. Can you do that?", he asked. I nodded, I needed to hear this.

"Nicholas, Victoria, and I were the best of friends of growing up. We were the same age and we were expected to be. When Nicholas and I were ten our parents sent us to a military boarding school. It may be hard to imagine, but Nicholas was scrawny and weak back then and I was strong. Yet, Nicholas was the talker he found it easy to make friends and I have always been shy. We looked after each other, he helped me make friends, I protected him from bullies. Whenever we went back home in the holidays Victoria joined us and we all became inseperable. Around seventeen was when we had to start make serious decisions, our parents wished us to be high up in the base like they had been. It was then we discovered why the base was so secretive. It contained some of the most advanced research on objects, that would have overwhelming effect on everyday sims lives. The military side protected them, the rest were well mad scientists. Victoria and I jumped at the chance to become part of our families legacy. Nicholas on the other hand, went down the science path and began an apprenticeship right then under one of the best scientists. Victoria and I finished school for the year. When we returned Nicholas wasn't the same person we had left there. He was no longer weak and now he was angry, at what I still don't know. Victoria was the only one he would tolerate and as for me he didn't care for our friendship anymore. Victoria had always loved him and stuck by his side to look after him I guess. He went away again for a year and when he returned the military was cut in half. Half was to funtion as a normal base, the other half was to house the project Nicholas had discorvered, Project Air. The base was transformed. Victoria and I ran the Project Air side, our younger siblings Ariel and John would run the normal side. Your probably wondering what Project Air is, Project Air is what you saw. It was an object or thing, that let out a radiation never seen on this world before. It was found by a man who had seen the light and never died, he still hasn't. The military of course wanted to harness that power. So, Nicholas job was to study it after they found out anyone else exposed to it died. Yet, Nicholas was annoyed and angry at how careful he had to be and started to risk peoples lives, many died and I on a moral basis stepped down from my role and Ariel replaced me, I began to run with John the normal side of the base. Nicholas began so recluded that he hatched a scheme with Victoria and their doctor Angelica to fake his death, I was asked to agree. I did, then he decided to do something none of us expected. He learnt to take a piece of Project Air and store it, he did and ran off with it. Victoria was heartbroken", he said, pausing.


"So that piece was what I saw?", I asked trying to digest it all.
"Yes, and your still alive", he smiled.
"Will I always be, I mean will it kill me like the others?", I said disturbed.
"Well, you were going to be Nicholas first...subject, until he found out you were from here, he didn't want us trying to track you down and leading straight to him. So he contacted Victoria she fought hard against him to get you back, for prehaps the first time in her life. He finally agreed to send you back on the deal that he received weekly blood samples. As all the victims blood began to change rapidly, when exposed, including th man who has not died. We agreed.", he said, staring at me. Something about the way he said it though made me feel that he wasn't telling the whole truth, but I kind of didn't really want to know.
"So thats it?", I asked.
"Angelica wants you to stay here at this house in military village so she can keep a close eye on you", he said and then I remembered Angelica was my doctor and also the doctor to some of the highest people here. I asked Alexander and he told me she was the only one avalible. I think he was lying but I didn't want to know the truth, I had already got way more than I bargained for.

"Wait what about Olivia?", I asked, remembering I hadn't been alone in Shang Simla.
"She went back, after been told you collapased and seeing you in hospital. Although she took alot of convincing. You can tell her you were offered a promotion thats why you get the house, but take all the time you need to recover", he told me.
"Is that it then do I just go back to work?", I asked, feeling deflated like it was an anti-climax.
"Yes, except John Chambers will be your boss, he doesn't know anything about this and we need you to go back to work as a normal employee", he muttered, looking embrassed.
"Oh, I see, I'll guess I'll see Olivia tomorrow, I'm to tired today. I'm sorry about before, I shouldn't of fallen apart on you", I said smiling faintily.
"Its okay, I'll always be here for you, Angel Darvill", and the way he sent it you could tell he meant it. "Thanks", I said smiling weakly, then he left, I collapased into bed to tired to even think through anything that he had told me.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment