Tuesday 22 May 2012

Chapter 1.1 Finally Free

You know when your really little and your convinced there's a monster in your room? And nothing and nobody can possibly persuade you that your wrong. You curl up, cry, bring all this misery to yourself only to learn it was all in your head. I think life's like that, for most of my life I blamed myself for my mother's death. My room was fulled with her trophies and her achievements and I felt like I had to be better than her, to prove I deserved to live.

 I became a person I didn't recognised, focused on nothing else but doing well. My father didn't understand it and our relationship has been tense to say the least. He gave me everything I wanted, but the more he gave the more guilty I felt. The only person who I felt understood me was Olivia Rivera, my best friend, the child of my parents best friends. I spent most of the time at Aunt Jade and Uncle Santoz's, because with them came a guilt free environment.



Now here I sit all alone, in this house that had given me nothing but misery, and it had just added to it in a form of a letter from my father.

Dear Angel... By now you would of realized I'm not home, what you haven't realized is I'm never coming back. I'm sick, and I'm dying, so I left. I won't let you watch me slowly die, I want you to remember well. I'm sorry for everything, I wish I could fix our relationship, but I don't know how. We never talked, how could I possibly know what was wrong? But then again I never really tried. The truth is you were worth it, you were worth giving up your mother for. Everytime I saw you I was so proud and I knew your mother would be to. She would be so pleased to see how far you've come and I believe firmly if given the chance she would go through the pregnancy anyway.
 I love you my darling Angel. I wish you all the best, and follow your dreams not mine.
                                                         Love Micheal Darvill

Why had he never said that to my face, maybe it would of made it all better, that and my mother's letter. It seemed there truly was no monster, just the one residing in my head, my mother would still have had me. The problem was now I had no idea what I wanted, I was use to being told what I should do, be a doctor like my father, like most of the Darvills before me. Its what I had spent the last few years at college studying, but I didn't want to be a doctor. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life, I just wasn't so sure I should follow that path.

I met Olivia at the Bistro, she had been in France for the last year and I had missed her advice. "Livvy", I smiled as she walked up.
  "Angel, its been way to long", she said, pulling me into a hug


We got our food and I was bombared everything she had been doing in France.
"And what's up with you?", she asked, a slight frown marking her brow.
 "Dad's gone, he got sick and just left", I muttered.
 Olivia nodded saying, "What are you going to do?"
"Get over it, I guess", I replied confused.
  "No I mean with your life, your not seriously planning on being a doctor now are you?", she asked. "No, how did you know I didn't want to be a doctor?", I asked suprised.
 It was Olivia's and my plan to become doctors, I had waited a year for her so we could work together, she to was from a long line of doctors.
"Its obvious, plus ever since our trip to the old military graveyard, all you wanted to do was be in the military.", she said simply.

"Fine, you got me", I said, the first smile of the day appearing on my face.

"Look, I'm not trying to tell you to not follow your dream, but Sims in Arms military base is dangerous. I mean the people who work there are so isolated. They never come to town, they have their own village", she told me firmly.
"Just because they don't hang around here, doesn't make them dangerous", I retorted, I wasn't going to add that their isolation was the reason I was so intrested in them.
 "Fine, but be careful", she sighed.

 "Anyway I was thinking of selling the house, moving in with you guys", I said changing the topic. "Nope can't do that, mum and dad are moving to China and selling the house. Which is why I wanted to move in with you. I love that house", she replied.

 "Good idea", I mumbled not happy, I hated that house.

Now that I had a plan in mind, there was no stopping me. I was going to join the mlitary, and work in this military base. While at city hall, changing dad's house and assets over to my name, I inquired about getting a job there. I found out what I had expected, getting a job there was not going to be simple. I made calls to my father's old friends and finally I was able to secure an interview there, for a job as Latrine Cleaner. It wasn't much, but it could have room for promotion especially with my college degree, if I managed to impress my superiors. Apparently this base wasn't use to taking newbies.

The next morning I got ready for my interview, deciding against dressing like I normally did. A simple ponytail and jeans would suffice I decided.

 My nerves were at all time high, I didn't doubt I would get the job it was just the impressing I was worried about. Entering the interview room I was confused, should I call the person sir, didn't it matter?

"Take a seat", came a voice from the desk. A rather young sounding voice, a rather young interviewer, not exactly what I had expected.

"So, it's Angel?", he asked, looking me over.
"Yes", I said trying to sound confident.
 "Right", he said typing something on his computer,"Angel Darvill...hmm...that's weird. You want to be a latrine cleaner?", he asked.

I decided the thats weird was because of my qualifications, "Yes, I'm hoping to work my way up but yes for now a latrine cleaner", I replied.
"You are aware, you could start higher up in another military base", he told me.
"Yes, but I want to work here", I said.

 "I think its a complete waste of your ablities, but I have to give you the job", he said, in a rather brusque manner.

"Thank you", I mutter confused.
 "You can collect your uniform and go for you medical check now and you can start on Monday. You are also required to call anyone higher than you Sir or Maam, you can report to reception" he said dismissing me with an hand movement.

I got my uniform and waited outside for my doctor.
"Come in", she called. She checked me over and told me I was medically sound.
"My names Angelica Andrew and I'll be your doctor throughout your employment with us", she said smiling.
                                                                                                                                                                             "I didn't know I would get a doctor...maam", I said.
"Don't worry about the mam, and I suppose Alexander Graham forgot to add that fact", she said annoyed.
"Yes I guess so", I muttered, recognizing the name of my interviewer. The Grahams were one of the oldest miltary families in Twinbrook and rumours had it that them and the Chambers ran it.
"Don't worry about their attitude, they just don't really like outsiders, they are all really nice, after a few years", she added, I guess in a effort to make me feel better it made me feel worse.
                                                                                                                                                                                                        "Thanks", I said.
                                                                                                                                                                                         "It was Angel Darvill right?", she asked as I was leaving.
"Yes", I said.
"Hmm that is weird", she remarked quietly.

 I was tempted to ask, but I decided that wasn't a good idea.

I spent the weekend helping Olivia move into the house and I had my offical goodbye dinner with Aunt Jade and Uncle Santoz on Sunday.

 With them leaving, I felt the lasts strands of my connection to my parents disappearing. It made me feel sad, but almost in a way relieved. I was finally free, the problem was the feeling was scaring me. Life seemed so much more simpler when someone had planned it out for me.

1 comment:

  1. Okay so this is the daughter of the couple from the prologue? Took me a second to figure it out. Poor girl!!! I like her determination :)

    ReplyDelete