Tuesday 24 July 2012

Chapter 1.16 The Book Never Lies

Every Saturday was a picnic day and it had been for the last few years. It was hard to believe the twins are four, nearly five. Together they loved to make trouble and they annoyed Alexander and I to breaking point. Separately their personalities had bloomed. Drea is and I think always will be daddy’s little girl. Every night he has to read her a bedtime story and if he doesn’t do it, then she won’t sleep.
She is the thinker but is rather nervous around strangers; she walked early and started talking early. She also has an amazing memory like no one I’ve ever seen. Leon on the other hand, is my little boy. Each night before bed we have to play games.

He is the bravery and strength, loves people but took a little longer to walk and talk than Drea. Though I love them both the same.

Nothing new has happened life continues on as it always. Well, add a few promotions and its basically the same. Of course Drea and Leon’s blood test came out fine as we all thought they would. “No eating grass, Leon,” I called over to him as Alexander and Drea played over by the stream. “Mummy come get me,” he said with a smile on his face.
I ran over and grabbed him, “Got you ,you little rascal,” I said tickling him.
                                                               
“Sorry, sorry,” he screamed between laughs. I laughed kissing him on the forehead and picked up my phone as it rang.
“Hello,” I asked, trying not to laugh.

“Good, Angel I got you,” said a voice I recognized as Victoria’s, I struggled to keep myself from groaning, “Anyway I want to let you know that Braden Smith is now working for us. He asked if he could live with you and I told him it was fine. Expect him tomorrow morning, that is all,” she said curtly and then the line went dead. She didn’t even give me a chance to say no, plus she knew tomorrow was the twins fifth birthday.

“So, are you okay with it?” Alexander asked me as I told him about Braden after we had put the twins to bed.
“Well,” I began wondering how I was going to go about it. The truth was since the last time I saw him I had been dreading when he was going to come back. I knew I needed to talk him if he did, but what if what he told me was something I didn’t want to hear.
“I guess its fine,” I finished; I couldn’t exactly tell him he wasn’t allowed here.

“Okay I’ll guess we’ll see him tomorrow morning,” Alexander said.
“Thanks,” I said.
“For what?” he asked.
“Everything,” I replied, giving him a kiss.

“I feel awful, you know I wouldn’t have come until Monday if I’d known you were having the twin’s birthday,” Braden said, as he finished unpacking.
“It’s fine, you would have been invited anyway,” I assured him.
              
“Well, in all fairness I wouldn’t have had to come if you had done your job,” he said, giving me a hard stare.
                                          
“Excuse me?” I said stepping back a little shocked. What in the world was he talking about?
“You’re excused,” he told me as he headed up the stairs to talk to Alexander and see the twins I assumed. I didn’t know what he was talking about and I wasn’t quite sure I wanted to either. I went back to packing up the things to take to their party.

It was being held in our spot. “You know you are the handsomest five year old I ever saw,” I told Leon, giving him a hug.
                       
“You have to say that mum,” he said rolling his eyes.
“Doesn’t mean it’s a lie,” I told him.

Again he rolled his eyes and went back to play with Drea and Daniel. Victoria of course had been too busy to come in fact, nobody hardly ever saw Victoria anymore. Her twins spent most of the time with both their grandparents, poor girls.

Braden came up to me and smiled saying, “You did well with them, honestly.”
“Thanks, but you and me we need to talk, about everything,” I said, hoping he wasn’t going to try speaking in riddles again.
                               
“Why else would I take the job, well that and another problem that’s going to touch down tomorrow sometime,” he said looking at his watch.
“What do you mean?” I asked, just a little confused.
“Don’t worry, because we’re not going to talk. I’m going to show you and then you’re going to do your job. For that I’m saying sorry in advance, because this was never going to end well,” he whispered miserably.

That sounded bad, I was about to ask him what he meant but he walked away muttering to himself, “The book never lies.” Now he had me worried, but I decided I could start worrying, when something bad happens, after all Braden was slightly crazy right.

  “You ready to go?” Braden says appearing almost out of nowhere the next day. Alexander had gone to work and I hadn’t because Victoria had called me mysteriously saying I had the day off. Now I could kind of guess why.
                
“Where?” I asked.
“Were you not listening yesterday, I’m going to show you the answers to all of your questions. Also my problem arrives exactly where we’re going, so it’s like what’s that saying, killing two birds with one stone,” he rambled, walking towards the door.
                                                                   
“Wait, what about the twins?” I asked, knowing they were upstairs and I couldn’t leave them by themselves.

 “Already told them to come down, we’ll drop them off at their old playroom. That’s where they were going before right?” he asks.
“Yes, so what’s your problem anyway?” I asked, waiting for the twins to come downstairs.
“You know him, goes by the name of Nicholas,” he called.
 I gulped; I was really hoping that didn’t mean Nicholas was back.

No comments:

Post a Comment